iQOO 3 5G: The Stylish Gaming Phone
Everyone knows what gaming phones look like. They have LED effects, aggressive design, and maybe a vent or two. Needless to say, the prescribed aesthetic for gamers is unsubtle. On top of that, and regardless of the increasing popularity of mobile games, gaming phones are not for everyone.
But things are different for iQOO 3 5G. It is a sub-brand of Vivo that is focused on gaming. iQOO is also the BBK-affiliated sister company of OnePlus, Oppo, and Realme. It launched in China in 2019. However, the 3 5G is the very first iQOO phone that was released in India and other markets.
One good thing, and probably even the best thing about this phone, is it looks completely unremarkable. Its design allows it to be not just a gaming phone but everyone’s phone. It particularly resembles the Huawei P40 Pro. however, there is no doubt that Vivo will say that the similar two-tone rounded rectangular camera bump was actually first seen when its V17 was released last year.
In addition, there is a subtle shimmery stippled gradient effect on the back of the phone. But the most obvious design of this phone is its copper-orange power button.
Needless to say, the iQOO 3 5G is missing all that gaming aesthetic with bright red and green themes. However, you can say that it is an inconspicuous handset — no gaming aesthetic but in a nice way.
What Makes the iQOO 3 5G a Gaming Phone?
The brand was able to establish the 3 5G’s stylishness. However, the question lies in its specifications. What makes this phone a gaming phone? Check out the features below to find out.
There are extra controls in the form of the Monster Touch shoulder buttons located on the right side of the handset. In addition, it has a Snapdragon 865 chipset and the fastest-available UFS 3.1 storage that can only be found in this phone and a few others in the market.
Moreover, Vivo says that the iQOO 3 5G has a Carbon Fiber Vapour Cooling System. Such is not as powerful as a built-in or a snap-on fa. But still, it makes the phone halfway to having an extreme cooling feature.
However, there is one major downside in terms of the gaming features of this phone. It only has a plain 60Hz screen. As you may all know, a higher refresh rate means better performance when it comes to gaming phones. Still, it has a pretty excellent AMOLED screen with a 180Hz touch sampling. For this reason, it will still be quite quick in detecting action.
Moreover, below is a rundown of the specs of the iQOO 3 5G gaming phone:
- Display – 6.44-inch Super AMOLED, 1080 x 2400 px, 60Hz refresh rate, HDR10+ certified, 180Hz touch-sensing.
- Body – 215g, 158.5 x 74.9 x 9.2 mm, aluminum frame, Gorilla Glass 6 front and back.
- Front Camera – 16MP, f/2.5
- Rear Camera – The Primary boasts 48MP, 1/2.0 13MP while the Telephoto is a 13MP, f/2.5, 50mm PDAF, f/1.8, PDAF. in addition, it has 2x optical zoom; Ultra-wide: 13MP, f/2.2, 16mm AF, and an LED Flash. On the other hand, the video recording is 2160p@30fps, gyro-EIS.
- Chipset – The iQOO 3 5G’s chipset is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 (7nm+): a 1 x 2.84 GHz Kyro 585 and 3 x 2.42 GHz Kyro 585 and 4 x 1.8 GHz Kyro 585 Octa-core, as well as an Adreno 650.
- Memory – In terms of memory iQOO gives you five choices. They are 128GB 6GB RAM, 128GB 8GB RAM, 128GB 12GB RAM, 256GB 8GB RAM, 256GB 12GB RAM. It also has a UFS 3.1.
- Battery – The iQOO 3 5G poses a 4,400mAh battery life with 55W Super FlashCharge 2.0 fast charging.
- OS – Android 10; iQOO UI 1.0
- Connectivity – This gaming phone has 5G connectivity. However, it is important to note that in India, the 5G connectivity is only available on the 256GB 12GB variant. In addition, it has a dual SIM slot, Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ax/ax, Bluetooth 5.0, USB-C and dual GPS.
- Misc – The iQOO 3 5G has Monster Touch Buttons, an in-display fingerprint reader, and 4D vibration, in addition, it has an AK4377A independent audio chip with Hi-Res audio certification.
Unboxing the iQOO 3 5G Gaming Phone
The iQOO 3 5G comes in a stylish box that has a black carbon fiber print. The brand name is stamped on the top of the box in shiny gold letters. There is a sticker that says it is the 5G version and is also fully tricked out with 256GB of internal storage and 12GB of RAM. However, there are also 4GB only options that are available on the variants with less storage and RAM.
When you open the box, you will see the gaming phone in a plastic tray. You will also find a paper sleeve located just below the phone. That paper sleeve holds a frosted plastic protective case as well as the USB cable.
Moreover, the USB cable has a red and white pill-shaped connector on the phone end. It leads the cable at a 90-degree angle away from the gaming phone.
Furthermore, there is the 55W charger that is big and heavy. Lastly, the phone comes with a set of in-ear buds.
With all that is said and done, we can say that the iQOO 3 5G is indeed a gaming phone even without the gaming phone aesthetics. True enough, the device only has a 60Hz refresh rate, which is quite slow for a gaming phone. However, with a touch sensitivity of 180Hz, it will still work fast while you are playing any mobile game.